Sunday 9 December 2012

Advice or interference?

I am sure we have all at time met people who start most of their sentences with"But surely"

Alarm bells ring with me now. They are usually people whose mission in life is to interfere....whether they are asked to or not.

All caring professions have people in this category, teachers, social workers, therapists of various kinds and of course, priests...we see a situation that is clearly wrong and jump in to "help"

I have been on the receiving end of such advice and in the past have given it too.

The problem is that you never actually hear or know the whole story and the really dangerous ones are those whose minds are made up and who are unable to listen.

In my position here I see many distressed people....to sit and listen is both time consuming and heart rending. At the end you have a story....but it's not the complete picture...it can't be. It's one persons conception of what has happened.

Now I just listen, I do not make judgements. No one should do that. But of course we are human and rushing to judgement is a natural human trait!

Where those judgements cause damage to other people it's not just wrong..it's wicked.

Hear the word of the Lord. "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

No comments: