Saturday 1 December 2012

Thanking Gerrans.

Gerrans church is a very pretty church with a steeple that is a landmark for those at sea as well as all the farms around. I can see it from St Mawes.

I have been going to Gerrans since long before I lived here. First I sang in its choir, then I became its secretary despite my misgivings about my efficiency.

Then I took an impromptu service after someone failed to turn up...so I was promptly sent off to do a worship leaders course....

All the time spent in church revived the call I had had as a young girl and the rest is history.

I was ordained as a priest in Gerrans church with a large assortment of clergy of all persuasions. Although I no longer live in the village it's a great pleasure to be a visitor.....I can count so many of them as friends.

Tomorrow I am back with them for a Eucharist. It's the first time since my sons funeral. It's going to be emotional.

Before I light the Advent candle I need to thank them all from the bottom of my heart.

The church was full of people who didn't know my son. They came to support me and they laid on refreshments afterwards and looked after us all extremely well with warmth and love. I will always be grateful to them all.

Gerrans will always hold a special place in my heart...it was there that the words of Frost made sense at last.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep

But I have promises to keep

And hours to go before I sleep

And hours to go before I sleep.

No comments: