Wednesday 13 February 2013

Dust and ashes.

Here we are and it seems to be Ash Wednesday! This solemn day is hard to keep on a boat of pleasure seekers.

I scanned the days events with interest....no mention of Ash Wednesday . Had there been a Catholic mass anywhere I might have gone...the need to observe this day was strong. I thought about going to the Christian fellowship meeting but shied away as I recalled the huge numbers of Americans on board...we have different ideas about fellowship often and I didn't want to come away irritated.

In the end I found the my lectionary app had all the readings for the day and sat out on my balcony reading them and praying.

The first sentence of the gospel read, "Take care not to parade your pious ness before other people."

Thank you God. Just what I needed. The year I ended up doing a communion service every Sunday night was fine but I can do my own thing in my room, I'm not volonteering.

The words echo through my brain.

"From dust you came and from dust you will return. Receive the mark of Christ crucified."

The only ashes are those in my heart. For this year they will suffice.

 

1 comment:

Ray Barnes said...

I'm glad you were able to have your own private Ash Wednesday. Like you I think it is a very important one.
Have just returned from St. Mary's having for once, received an ash cross on my forehead that looks like a cross. Last year it looked more like a question mark. Hmmm. Food for thought.
Blessings Jean, enjoy the rest of your cruise.