Saturday 2 February 2013

The call of the sea.

I am fortunate in living in the most beautiful place on earth......did you detect some bias there? Of course I am biased. I chose to live here.....we had looked long and hard for a home here when the first David retired. I am sorry that he never managed it.

To live within sight and sound of the sea is a great gift for me because on bad days I can watch the rise and fall of the waves and remember the good times with my dog and children .

I don't know why the sea has such a huge pull but it has.

"Give me the sunlight and the sea and who shall take my heaven from me?" Words by Albert Noyes that expresses how I have always felt .

Recreational uses are many and various...small boats, surfing, swimming, fishing...collecting shells, walking dogs,they are all included in the joy of the sea.

No wonder that so many people have used it as inspiration for their painting, music and of course words....precious words to enrapture and capture the beauty of the ever changing sea.

I've always had a healthy respect for its moods, what is glorious and life enhancing one minute can suddenly become an angry tumult that can kill......

But mostly it's the way it can make you feel better just by gazing out at it that I value.

Joseph Conrad wrote this

Nowhere else than upon the sea do the days, weeks and months fall away quicker into the past. They seem to be left astern as easily as the light air bubbles in the swirls of the ships wake.

Indeed...and when I'm a very old lady I shall sit looking out at it all and be healed....

4 comments:

jante said...

I also love the sea having been brought up in Fleetwood.When my uncle died used this poem in the eulogy at the funeral ( He was a trawlerman)
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking." John Masefield

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8495913-Sea_Fever-by-John_Masefield for the whole poem.
I think I must have learnt it at school and love it.
Janet

Revjeanrolt said...

That poem was read at my husbands funeral. I still find it hard to read!

jante said...

Oh dear Jean- I hadn't realised of course it must be hard to read it in those circumstances.

Revjeanrolt said...

I have had it in other funerals since...I cope! I hadn't realised you were from Fleetwood! My mum lived in Cleveleys