Friday 29 March 2013

Good Friday

I have never had such a strange Good Friday! In the days of my youth attending a Unitarian church in Rochdale we always went on a long hike, usually at least 20 miles, often more.

In the Anglican church I went to later, Bill Vanstone led the three hour watch and I always stayed till the end.

In Cornwall in the seaside villages we hold services outdoors, often combining the carrying of the cross as a sign of witness.

Here on the Queen Elizabeth we had a congregational minister from Boston. Ahem!

I am glad that yesterday I did a small communion and today I am simply quietly meditating. The words of Frost that rang through my head before my ordination are here again.

The woods are lovely , dark and deep

But I have promises to keep

And hours to go before I sleep

And hours to go before I sleep.

 

Lord now let me fulfill the promises I made then with grace and love. Amen.

No comments: