Saturday 17 August 2013

A sense of humour.

I laugh a lot. Even when I'm hurting laughter is often a path through the grief....

I have a quirky sense of humour I admit...often I see the funny side of something serious and thought provoking and then I quickly dampen down my unfortunate giggles.

I have always been like this. Laughing outloud at the wrong moment has landed me in lots of trouble. As a girl I used to be taken to task for laughing at a serious problem....as an adult the serious side has developed but the need to laugh as well as to weep is never far from any dilemma.

When I found this prayer in the book by Ted Loder, "Guerillas of Grace" I saw its immediate impact on me as a sort of permission, it's alright to be daft occasionally..

Quicken in me a sense of humour.


O God of gifts

Quicken in me a sense of humour

Bright enough to help me find my way

In these tarnished times

Fruitful enough to be made the wine of hope

To warm the hearts of those I live with.


So, O God of gifts

Liberate me to share

Without apology or arrogance

Not only the gifts I have

But the gift I am.


1 comment:

UKViewer said...

A beautiful prayer.

I'm going to nick it for my prayer book :)

And laughter and joy are as much part of life as suffering and depression - I just wish the balance was more on the laughter and joy side for many.