Sunday 4 May 2014

How to acquire local knowledge.

On Sunday I went to eat at an old inn a little way out of the village. It was full of people I knew! Lots of hugs enfolded me as we sat outside in warm sunshine.

It was soon clear that the pub had changed hands and I recognised the new man who was obviously in charge. I finally admitted that I knew him but I couldn't remember from where.

A lengthy discussion took place when I went into the bar.

He had been at the pub here in St Mawes....that must have been it!

He then grinned. "You remember me from way back " he said....and I did once my memory was jogged. I knew him as a pub chef in two establishments long before I settled here.

The people round the bar were enthralled, I knew them from church!

"Did you do all the pubs then."

Ahem. I did.

I wasn't on my own of course....we used to rent houses here several times a year. The first David used to refer to the pub in the village as his spiritual home!

When we brought our caravan here to look for a house after he had retired we ate in many of the pubs and clubs.

This gave me a lot of local knowledge which was useful after I was ordained. Some of it was uncomfortable knowledge which I had to pass on occasionally to colleagues...

Now when I eat out , bumping into very old friends and acquaintances is a great pleasure. It's just that all this local knowledge was gained in pubs...to the amusement of many of the locals...especially when I can name the long list of successive land lords and ladies easily. Ooops!

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Surely your activities are about community building? You meet the people you care for where they are, not in church which will be the select few. Jesus did much the same. The last supper was in a hostelry not a temple. Seems to me what was good enough for him is fine for you :)

Mary M said...

UKViewer: So true