Friday 16 January 2015

Meter reading in a gale!

Yesterday was the day for solving another small problem. Whilst I was in the Caribbean I got a request for me to send the current meter reading for the electricity bill to be checked. It had to wait!
During the Autumn gales I had asked my gardener to make the door secure after spending several nights listening to it banging in high wind!
So the first thing to do was to get the door open!
Looking then at the meter I saw three separate lines of numbers changing all the time!
I wrote them down struggling to stay on my feet during the process!
Trying to fill in the form on my computer provided a bit of a mystery....there was only one line to enter the number and I had three!
On the web site there was the headline "Contact us"
I chose the live chat option with some misgiving.
I need not have worried. A most helpful young woman took all three numbers, juggled them , told me how much electricity I'd used in the last year, arranged for me to continue to pay the same direct debit and left me feeling that I'd sorted out another of the arcane bits of knowledge that David managed whilst I ate cake!
I am slowly getting there....even the cough is not quite so frightening . The weather today is calm and bright. It is possible to walk upright again...things are starting to look up!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

It is a shock to the system having to cope with all the everyday minutia when you have never had to do it before. Mine is nowhere near as complicated as yours but still is a challenge.
Today I have had to call a plumber, knowing that we have always had maintenance cover but trying to find out with whom has been a nightmare.
It turns out that British Gas is our 'all problems' contract holder so now, having rung them at 8.00 am I have the promise that the engineer will call today between 8.oo and 6.oo pm.
Having spent most of the night worrying unnecessarily i can now sit back and wait. (while using buckets of water to flush the loo)
Deep joy :-)

Revjeanrolt said...

Good luck with that Ray.....I hope they turn up soon!

Ray Barnes said...

Guess what? He turned up at 12.15 and was gone, job done paper-work completed by 12.45.
Wonderful, all is back to 'normal'.
Now for a nap before this evening's choir practice.

Babs said...

Its terrifying when the 'Buck Stops Here' No Ron for me to ask "Can you just' please. I am ploughing through finances but really companies dont make life easy. I am learning nothing is as simple as a transfers Oh you cant do that madam, clear it and start again. Decided they are all designed and run by men!!!!!!

Babs said...

Oh dear yes all thse things I have decided are designed and run by men. Can't do a simple transfer oh no..... Draw it out pay it in and then you can do what you want. For goodness sake Just change the name It was done with the car why not premium bonds and the like !!!!!!!

Revjeanrolt said...

Good to know miracles do still happen!

Revjeanrolt said...

It took me months to get everything changed.....slowly and carefully Babs....I hope you got several death certificates because they all seem to need one!

Babs said...

Yes I did and slowly and carefully is my watch word. But does it matter whose name is on the electic bill as long as it gets paid?