Sunday 14 June 2015

Survival

Fifty three years ago yesterday I gave birth to my first baby. I had had a bad pregnancy with pre eclampsia and had spent several months of my life in hospital. Talking to the retired doctor who took me to the hospital yesterday I recalled vividly how awful it was to spend months unable to do anything!
I was in bed almost all of the time and was not allowed anything to read beyond some picture books. The treatment then for very high blood pressure was pheno barbitone so I was dozy much of the time. Once when my neighbour had slipped a book to me under cover of darkness my pressure shot up so high I had to be given morphine. I quite liked it...and anyway a bit of drama on the ward was very welcome!
My friend from yesterday commented that I was lucky to have survived and of course I was and the wonderful prize was taking my son home after an easy birth which really was full of joy.
That I have now survived my son is one of life's great pains but I still have the joy, the love that flooded through me when first holding the precious bundle. It was of course also a small miracle that he survived the pregnancy and I sometimes wonder if it was all part of the cosmic plan and then of course I shrug and tell myself not to be stupid!
I commented on Saturday that until recently most of my bad health problems were in my youth ....but that seems to be changing now I'm an old woman....
What ever...I am in the hands of God... I can now remember my children and my husband without weeping and for the most part all my memories are good ones...so there's still a lot to be thankful for.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

As we get older (although I don't feel old in my head) our bodies react perhaps to the ways that we've used and abused them over a lifetime of work and play. In my case, running miles every week for nearly 35 years has done my knee's in, while carrying heavy weights over long distances on foot has done the same for my back. Other things such as diet have given me gastric problems and the old man's curse of prostate also requires daily medication. I have developed allergies to nuts, pollen and a host of other things. And of course, high chlosterel has given me statins for life (despite it being normal for the past three years) and in the last 12 months, Type 2 Diabetes, which is under control and which has caused me to lose 2 stones in weight (changed diet and exercise). The list of complaints will probably lengthen in the future. Multiple problems to cope with. But among it all, we have a marvelous NHS and of course, God to thank for continued life, despite the odds being stacked in the other direction. I have lived to see 5 grand children and perhaps, within a year or so, some great grandchildren as grand daughters enter the courting, marrying phase of their lives.

So, much to be thankful to God for and hoping to be given a few more years, before I meet him in person. Given that my father died at 63, I have now outlived him by 4 years - God be praised.