Thursday 10 August 2017

Bring me your poor!

I have twice been on boats to get nearer to the Statue of Liberty. I have never climbed it...but I have been close.
The poem which includes the wonderful words is not visible from the bottom but each time I've been there the words have rushed into my head.
I was amazed to find myself emotionally involved in a way that came as a complete surprise to me.
The words are clear and represent the knowledge of how America came into statehood, from the original founding fathers fleeing religious persecution in this country to all the huge numbers sailing away from war torn, economically challenged countries in Europe and Asia.
Trump is the child of a Scottish lady, am immigrant, which makes his attitude something of a mystery until you reflect on the state of the world at present.
Nevertheless his determination to keep out "undesirables" is repeated frequently in the words of the travel ban.
America would not be the cosmopolitan country it is now without the sentiment expressed on this statue, visible to all the ships putting into New York.
Here it is....written on the statue, unequivocal in its faith.
"Give me your tired your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breath free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Send these the homeless, tempers tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door"

Wonderful words....and represent the original ethos of this brave new world..
I hope they won't be disregarded now.





Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: