Monday 14 August 2017

Old habits...

Who remembers getting glasses with petrol? Wine glasses, not sun glasses....they came free with every ten gallons or so you put in...a very long time ago....
I used a lot of petrol in my first car...a delightfully ugly old Wolsley.
So I received quite a lot of glasses.
Most of them did not survive my children's teenage years but some did and are still here to prove it!
Thick walled and fairly ugly they can still hold rather more wine than the posher variety.
I do not drink during the day except on Sunday. This was the day David always opened a bottle of claret to drink with the Sunday roast! Not only was it a good claret it was also invariably a good glass.
My standards have slipped since then. But I still open a bottle on Sunday even when I'm on my own. Yesterday it was Pino Grigio....served in a garage free gift..they hold quite a lot more than the newer delicate variety.
It is just another soppy gesture to the past...like me saying hello David every time I drive his car!
Life now is full of soft, daft references...but that's where I am these days.
I only cook a roast if I've got visitors and haven't preached on Sunday.
So it's quite a long time since the last one....
But the Sunday habit of a glass of wine with lunch still holds good..and hopefully will continue ....
Cheers!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

As we don't drink alcohol, I can only look back on the days that did drink wine.

Not sure of delicate wine glasses, we used whatever glasses were at the front of the display cabinet and were not too dusty.


Nowadays, we don't have a wine glass in the house, that I could find if we needed them. Visitors make do with tea or coffee or water from a sturdy water glass.

Are we unusual? Not sure, but if we don't drink wine or beer, we don't need glasses for them.