Friday 3 November 2017

Flirtatious banter?

When I first started work as a teacher I was warned never to close the door if I was alone in a room with a child.
"Don't give them the chance to tell lies about you." were the words used.
I never did.
Like most women casual suggestive remarks tended to follow me around the various schools I taught in. Especially when I was pregnant.
From a distance of seventy odd years I think it was something I almost expected working in a boys school.
The odd pat on the bottom, the admiring glances at my bosom, occasional jokey remarks about what I might or not need followed me around for the three years that I worked there and not always from the pupils....
As I got older these instances got less obviously but some men do I think enjoy the sexy banter whereas most women do not.
Listening this morning to the accusations being reported I feel it is all getting out of hand.
Flirting is for most people fairly enjoyable....women do it too but only in a muted way.
I think most of the men who are being called out at present would class what they did or said as just that...a bit of harmless flirtation which might have led on to something else with a bit of luck!
It's not doing our view of parliamentary business any good however. Openness is good most of the time but do we really need all the daft detail...it can only destroy reputations and possibly marriages..
We are doomed to live in interesting times. I just wish it was little less interesting right now.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

I find the coverage quite prurient. News Media acting like the News of the World, or at it was more commonly known, News of the Screws (we were banned from reading it while in Care Nun's didn't believe that it was fit for tender eyes).

Sure we need to know that those governing us had integrity, but they are also human. I wonder how much of the detail of allegations made, we really need to know? Surely that is for those investigating such allegations and for them to be proven or disproved.

I find the whole business of so called sleaze a distraction from the problems that the country faces, and those using it to make political capital, well, they have no concept of good sense and the harm that the cause to public confidence in our Government and HM Opposition, as all of them seem to be tarred with the same brush.

Reminds me much of the final years of John Major's term as PM, with the sleaze dragging the country down, particularly the revelations from Edwina Currie about extra-marital affairs, venting spite as she was left out of government.

I hope that it all dies down, because it's now becoming very boring indeed.

Babs said...

I agree I find it very boring. They should all 'Get a Life'