Saturday 13 January 2018

Flu.

Many years ago when I still lived in Essex me and my husband got flu every year around Christmas. We finally realised it was picked up at the huge carol service in the cathedral where we all greeted each other with hugs and kisses.
I remember David’s last Christmas with dismay...he really was very poorly.
Since then the flu vaccine has appeared and providing we got the right strain we can stay reasonably well.
Since getting home from the cruise I have considered going to the doctor every morning.but have been warned off.
"Only go if you are desperate!"
This message from various visitors has  kept me at home. Apparently the waiting rooms are full of sneezing, coughing folk.
" But I’ve had my flu jab!"
"Ah.....did you go early or late?"
Apparently the early flu injections haven’t worked well this year. Fortunately I had my jab rather late but I am still not inclined to risk it.
Since reaching home I’ve only been in physical contact with a handful of people which turns out to be a very good thing.
Tomorrow though I am doing the eight o’clock communion .......
Flu is something to dread now. In my younger days I accepted it as a nuisance to be coped with most years..now I realise how serious it could be for an old woman on her own.
My itchy spots have died down. I will delay showing the more worrying one till I am sure the flu has departed...
Time to keep my head down right now....



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

I think you are wise to avoid too many people in a small over-heated place wherever possible. Like you I have flu or throat/chest infections every winter and always have whatever injections are on offer.
On Sundays after exchanging "The Peace" (handshakes only) I use an antiseptic hand wipe before taking the bread and wine.
I don't know how much infectkion this has prevented but a pack of wipes lives permanently in my choir robe pocket.
The skin thing however, is a cause for concern. Could you have a telephone appointment with your GP and see whether they advise you on your best course?

Revjeanrolt said...

Good idea Ray... but clearly not at the weekend. I shall see how I am on Monday...and I will use the anti bacterial jel tomorrow...

UKViewer said...

There are two versions of the flu jab. One for adults and one for children. The adult one is mainly for Australian flue, while the child one is for Japanese flu, which apparently hits children harder.

But it appears that the main strain of flue that has reached epidemic levels is the Japanese strain, and most adults are not protected.

I think that perhaps those who plan these things, need to take a little more care, as the NHS is now hog tied by hundreds of cases in serious condition due to the bad planning.

I found that making an evening appointment to visit the doctor was better - the multi-practice surgery was virtually empty and nobody with coughs or sneezing were there.

All surgeries are now expected to offer evening options, perhaps this might be easier for you if your surgery gives this option.