Sunday 18 March 2018

More snow!

We have another amber warning of snow here today. Last time I really didn’t believe it would happen but I am now very aware that yes, it is possible.
As yet we have only the lightest dusting.
And we have closed the church for the day.
I am one of the few here who remember the last time we closed St Just.
After doing the eight o’clock several cars were unable to get up the hill. A tractor turned out to rescue them at which point a decision had to be made. Rescuing forty cars would be much more complicated than four!
It was during the interregnum so my husband and I took the decision.
A notice was attached to the church door and I then stationed my car across the top of the road so that no one could get down.
This involved some interesting exchanges...but the only people to go down the hill were a group of about ten intrepid walkers.
I’m pleased not to be sitting across the road again...and since it’s only a couple of weeks since the last fall of heavy snow only too well aware that amber warnings should be taken seriously.
So I am settling down. The traffic outside is moving freely...but the warning lasts all day!
My friend with the four wheel drive has gone home. So I really am expecting to get snowed in yet again...
I can do this. My heating is on!
But I still have a hole in the roof! It’s only one tile off but it’s a very big one! Arghhhh!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Nancy Wallace said...

Sometimes it's good to have a hibernation day. I'm having one today due to snow. It feels like a real and unexpected sabbath rest.

Revjeanrolt said...

I’m enjoying it too...though as yet, mid morning no snow has arrived! The sun is glorious though!

UKViewer said...

We had snow overnight, but not enough to disrupt much. Roads clear and church open and warm. Not a full attendance, but sufficient to make a full service. Glad to see that parents made the effort to bring their children, as the choir depends on them.

Revjeanrolt said...

No snow this morning...but after an hour this afternoon it has covered everything in sight....white out!