Sunday 20 May 2018

A hard day?

I have a busy day today. A funeral this morning will take up both time and energy.
Having done a food shop on Friday I realised late yesterday that it was due to arrive whilst I was in church. I set too to change the time and despite the fact that they kept insisting that I put in my pass code which I’ve never needed until now I did succeed in rerouting it until this afternoon.
I checked all the details of the service yesterday , spoke to the organist, read all the emails from the daughter of the deceased..and am awake early this morning checking it all again.
An added complication is that today I have a mandatory seminar on Safeguarding to get too. As this is about fifty miles away it seems very unlikely that I’ll get there.
The upshot of all this is that I am rapidly warming to the idea that it’s time I retired.
Last time I mentioned this to my incumbent he insisted that I couldn’t do that as he was retiring this summer!
Mmmm.....
My diary is filling up with services, farewell parties etc during the coming months..but as he is a good ten years younger than me I find that I’m getting very interested in going sometime soon myself.
The problem here is that I own my own home. Usually when a priest retires they leave the house provided by the church and are seldom seen again which is obviously excellent news for the person taking over. But I have no intention of going anywhere so whilst I’m here I might as well work. ...I suppose...
I still enjoy what I do in the church but it’s getting harder..physically mostly but I do forget things too...
I am enjoying being an old woman most days but there are limits....and today is going to be hard.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Sometimes we need to put ourselves first Jean. I obviously don't know your territory, but it seems to me that you do agreat deal of (often difficult) travelling to get to most of your appointments. This, combined with your age should be sufficient reason/excuse to say 'time'.
We are forced to slow down by our bodies for good reason and ignoring it is really not a good idea.
Every blessing in your decision making.

Revjeanrolt said...

Thank you for your very wise words Ray...
I am sure you are right, it’s just that saying no does not come easily to me. Time is making the decision for me though I’m afraid as well as my body which is complaining hard right now.

UKViewer said...

You are thinking of retirement, while I am just getting going. But my license is being renewed until my 70th Birthday, when I can make a decision on retirement or to continue on PTO. PTO is dependent upon being upto date with safeguarding. Double whammy if I am unable to travel. Fortunately, they tend to organize them in Deaneries and we have pretty good public transport locally.

But as my spouse is due to retire in September from full time work, I need to work out how to spend more time with her, while balancing the things that I do in Church alongside it.

God will sort it out methinks so I am not getting anxious just yet.