Thursday 17 May 2018

Royal wedding.

I shall be greeting the coming weekend with a large yawn.
I’m not anti royal these days but I am not at all interested in spending hours watching every small movement in the inevitable performance.
It’s very sad that these two young people can’t just go off and get quietly married without the press and the television in intrusive attendance.
I feel very sorry for the brides parents...to be thrust into the spotlight focussed on their daughter must have brought both of them far too much publicity as the press grub around looking for anything to catch a headline.
I was anti royal in my youth. I spent Coronation day at the Old Trafford watching a cricket match. I simply refused to get involved in any of it.
I never sang the national anthem as a young woman...
I would never have done anything even slightly disrespectful . I just didn’t want to join in the almost obligatory royal adulation.
Now I pray for the Queen regularly in services in church and mean it. I think she has done a wonderful job throughout her life in the full glare of publicity and I’m glad her marriage has given us the royal children and grand children.
But I don’t need to spend a day watching one of them getting married.
I do hope it all goes well. Diana would be delighted with Harry’s choice I think.
From up there on her cloud she must be cheering them both on.
But for me Saturday will be a quiet day in my garden..so I do hope the sun shines on the event. The couple deserve that as they cope with all the people cheering them on.
I hope it all goes well for them .


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Totally agree. I will be at the Cathedral for the licencing of the next cohort of Readers to graduate from the Diocesan Course.

It was my turn last year, and I still remember that moment, when the Bishop mentioned my name and I went forward to receive his blessing and my license.

Happily it is to be renewed at Pentecost, so I am am really going to silently remake the promises made last year, for another year.