Friday 5 November 2010

Ecumenical grass roots

The afore mentioned funeral went so well that I am staggered by the whole thing. The Roman Catholic priest was someone I'd never met before though we had exchanged a few words on the phone. He was waiting for me all kitted up when I arrived at church having been given a lift in by the funeral director.
I got dressed...we sorted out who was doing what and then had time to chat before the arrival of the hearse.. We stood in the doorway telling each other how we had arrived at his particular moment in time, beaming at each other. His sermon was thoughtful and brief as he'd never met the deceased but was much appreciated by the small congregation. The widow did seem to understand what was happening and I will see her again very soon.
It was raining as we went out for the burial and I was touched to be helped into my cloak by him as we led the funeral party through our tropical pathways wonderful in colour at this time of the year.
After the burial we chatted again. Grass roots events bringing us together on these occasions do more for the cause of Christian unity than anything else. We agreed that sometimes our betters got it wrong and took leave of each other with real warmth and hopes that we should repeat the experiment sometime soon. DV


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: