Sunday 28 November 2010

Policeman Jean

This was a new one this morning. We had to cancel a service. No one can remember it happening before but there seemed little choice without endangering our aged  population. At ten O clock I got a phone call from the church warden who had only just got back from doing the eight am.
St Just is reached down a long narrow lane  leading to a gate from  where there is another steep drop down to the turning circle which gives access to the church. Both slopes were icy. Our verger had tried to salt the path but this morning someone slipped and fell and then a car got stuck on the road out.
Help arrived in the shape of the local boat yard owner  with a Jeep and  the car was sent home safely. After the call from the church warden we both got busy ringing around all those we see regularly and I spent a very chilly three quarters of an hour with my car parked over the opening to the lane, explaining to all and sundry including would be walkers that the service had been cancelled. From Priest to policeman was quite interesting I met some nice people .
 I told everyone who turned up that they could come back to my house for a hot drink and a very short sermon but oddly there were  no takers...Can't think why.

1 comment:

Ray Barnes said...

And to think I was envying you your lovely location (your post on 21st Nov). I suppose like most UK beauty spots, it's fine in Summer.

Pity about the service though - perhaps you should consider an on-line one for such weather-struck emegencies! Only joking - I think!