Wednesday 22 December 2010

Four Christmas dinners!

We are going off our for drinks in a moment. This is what they do in this village. In my last village they fed you. On the first year after being ordained I did the ten am at the small church which was filled to capacity. I had promised an old lady who was housebound that I would take her communion after church. I got there at 11.30 to find a complete Christmas dinner waiting for me.
"We are both widows " she said, "I thought we could keep each other company"
I had arranged to go to a friend's at lunch time but the bright little face presenting me with a lovely meal defeated me. I could not say no.
I walked to my friend's house, passing the pub for a quick one en route. They were not expecting me till later so I had the free drink traditional on Christmas day and arrived at the next house at around 1.30.
That too was a lovely meal and although it was hard, I managed it with good grace and even joined them for a snooze afterwards until around 4pm it was time to move on. One of my friends was dying. I was going with some books to read and prayers to say.
The totally unexpected meal was waiting for me. They knew I'd be glad of it after a busy day. That was my third dinner, this time I jibbed a little but managed to make it look respectable.
In the evening I had arranged to go and play silly games with a group of friends That should be safe I thought as I walked slowly, now laden with plum pudding and turkey!
Bless me but they'd also done it. They waited with expectant smiles as 6 of us tucked into another lovely meal.
"We waited for you specially" they said.
So if any of you non clergy types think the Vicar of Dibley is any sort of an exageration think again! It happens and because we don't like looking ungrateful we eat it all up with gratitude!
But boy do we pay for it later!
Score so far this year...2 Christmas dinners so far.
Hoping theres not going to be too much food at the drinks party because I have a lasagne in the oven for later. Hic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jean, I can so identify with this. I've only had two so far.

jon said...

Haha, that's brilliant! When reading this all I could think of was the Vicar of Dibley! xD

Jenni said...

Everytime my future husband has rung me this week,he has listed the school nativities with mince pies, meals out with the elders of the three churches,and meals at houses of the members of the congregation. Add to that goodies consumed on visits to nursing homes etc. and his ministerial robes are bursting at the seams! A new fitness regime for 2011 I think!