Wednesday 8 December 2010

My last dog Major sleeps

My golden retriever Crispin is now old and he has started to be very demanding. He had me up and down the stairs several times in the night and I remembered that his predecessor had in fact slept on my bed at the same stage but I was then a widow and the bed was very low. Crispin can't actually got onto our bed now.
Then this morning I was writing Christmas cards , going through old bits of paper and found this, a poem I wrote for Major after he'd gone.

He was beautiful ,my golden retriever
His eyes were kind and he smiled at me
The pup I rescued was unlovely
Beaten and neglected his scratched sores bled
His coat fell out and he worried his infected skin incessantly
With care and love his coat grew into beauty
A fully grown golden, majestic and dignified
We played and laughed together
Grieved for a lost partner and comforted one another in close companionship
I loved him dearly and as the end drew close
Became protective and careful of his problems
He was sociable and made friends with dogs and people everywhere
On his last walk he wagged his tail at old friends but was in pain
The pain grew until at midnight his eyes gazed into mine
And asked me for release. He trusted me
He was beautiful my Major. Even in death
Best dog in my world.

I know its soft....RIP Major.

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Jean, there is nothing soft about this. When our Dog, Della got to unwell through age and two strokes, we had to have her put down. The vet came to our house and did it gently. We had her cremated and her ashes are in our garden, along with those of four loved cats.

Pets are part of our life, we would not be without them. Today, we took one to the vet for injections etc, over £60 worth, but she is worth it, as are all of them.

Unknown said...

Today would have been my dear dad's brthday, so put away the 'soft' and break open the 'doing honour for one much loved'.

This is, aside from all else, a stunning poem. It has been a good thing to have read today of all days. Sometimes, it is all just a bit hard, isn't it.