Thursday 10 February 2011

Baptism

It is good news that synod is trying to sort out some of the language used in the CW service. I relish the startled expression on the faces of the god parents when I ask them if they renounce the devil and all his works.
It is archaic and it does confuse but also it goes some way to instilling a sense of awe into the proceedings.
I have a lot of baptisms following all the weddings we do here though not necessarily in that order. I always talk to the parents of course and as many of the god parents as can be assembled. This is difficult when they are traveling up from London for the weekend.
The worst christening I ever did was one that another priest had arranged. It was at two on a Sunday afternoon so we could get the morning services out of the way. It soon became clear that they were arriving straight from the pub.
They were partly drunk but most of them were not too bad until we got to the statements. One girl screamed with laughter at the mention of the devil and continued screaming at every other sentence throughout the service.This made the others giggle a lot I should have halted it in hindsight.. But at the time I was desperate to get it over with.
It was appalling. Made worse by the fact that the grand parents were very embarrassed by their childrens behavior.
Most baptisms are, like most weddings happy family occasions. I try always to have them as part of the normal church service where possible. I explain the language as we go. I do everything I can to enhance the importance and awe of the wonderful gift from God the child is receiving.
Still sometimes I have my doubts. The bottom line is that we are receiving a person into the church of Christ. My honest opinion is that an adult is better able to accept and go along with what is happening and I treasure the occasions when a thinking person has decided to accept God.
But we cannot forget that if we refuse or make it too difficult it is a baby being kept out of the kingdom and we should I think seek to be all embracing and welcoming to everyone.
Let's hope the Synod makes it an easier liturgy for us all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: