Monday 29 January 2018

May’s problems.

I would feel,sorry for Teresa May if she hadn’t brought much of what ails her on herself. By losing a good majority in a move designed to increase her power she has left herself open to leadership challenges and disloyalty from those in her cabinet who are ambitious.
Brexit is becoming a word I hate.
Leaving the EU has become the only thing on politicians minds right now when other more challenging issues need to be addressed.
Poverty means that even some of those who are working now need to go to food banks in order to feed their families.
I’ve been poor. It eats away at any attempt to get out of its traps.
Going to school with shoes that let water in, not having a warm coat to wear in the playground, suffering the jibes of those children whose parents are in work...all make for a profound sense of first bewilderment, then anger and only then a determination to somehow leave the worst of it behind.
Living here in Cornwall I am aware of some families living on the bread line but they are very few compared to those in cities .
Guilt at escaping the worst of it hits me almost daily.
It is just too easy to blame the government for everything but I wish that their minds could be focussed on the problems at home rather than how to leave Europe.
Somehow the goals stated by Mrs May on the steps of Downing St have become sidelined....to this one end....getting out of Europe with everything we want in place still there.
I would feel sorry for our government in this mess but I can’t. Tackling our social problems feels much more important right now than achieving any success in getting out of Europe.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: