Wednesday 17 January 2018

Solar Tile scam.

I had tea with a friend yesterday. She has a lovely house looking out to sea . It is always pleasant to chat and we often cover a lot of ground.
She also has solar panels and yesterday was talking about paying for their maintenance.
I asked a few questions.
About a year ago she was approached by a firm who told her they would guarantee her tiles and do any work necessary.
This costs her £20per month.
Alarm bells were ringing in my head.
People who have been reading my blogs for some time may remember that I had a similar arrangement last year.
I asked for the name of the company. She brought out the papers involved .
It was the same firm.
They are still approaching people and convincing them of the necessity of insurance.
I told her what had happened to me about a year ago when they sent a surveyor to look at the loft where the units are housed.
The man who arrived spent a morning finding multiple problems up there. It was going to cost me a lot of money.
A local man I trust went up there a day later at my request . None of the reported problems existed. The cost of doing all the work was well over a thousand pounds.
I cancelled the work and then on good advice stopped my £20 per month to the Liverpool firm.
EDF who supply my electricity told me that no maintenance was needed. It was in fact a scam.
I gave my friend all the facts. She was shocked but determined to stop her monthly fee.
I now realise that this firm, getting our names and addresses from a register must target old ladies living alone...and it must pay them very nicely to do it.
Old people everywhere need to know this...particular if they have solar tiles.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Name and shame them, because they're crooks and need to be stopped. Your nice Lady friend should report them to Trading Standards, who can stop them in their tracks.