Wednesday 23 May 2018

Manchester a year on.


I wept quite a lot yesterday on and off. All the memories of what happened in Manchester a year ago played to various recollections of the event and to the relief that my old city was fighting back with vigour and determination.
Some contributions were angry, defiant and noisy.
They recalled the shock and horror experienced a year ago when a bomb was exploded in a hall full of young people at a pop concert. ....
Several events were detailed and were being held in places I know well.
I haven’t been back up north for decades and although I have an invitation to go back to Lancashire this year, I almost certainly will not go.
Travelling around my own country has been replaced by going off on big luxurious ships in my old age.
I used to drive over to the north coast regularly, it’s only an hours drive from here but somehow my get up and go has got up and gone.
This didn’t stop me yesterday from identifying with the Mancunian out pouring of grief but also with the defiance, the anger voiced by so many all detailing the places where I grew up and raised my own family.
St Anne’s square was where I took my daughter to play her flute for her exams.
Memories were triggered by various voices detailing events and emotion as well as anger .
Lancastrians were fighting back. We are good at that!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: