Thursday 21 June 2018

Death by Heroin?

What happened in Gosport was clearly wrong. It was murder in fact to give all those inhabitants of an old people’s home enough heroin to kill them.
And yet......
Nearing yet another birthday I am fully aware that my time on earth is limited. This afternoon I am visiting a friend who is in her ninety second year.
She and I have had "the conversation "
The one where we hope that when death arrives it will be both quick and easy.
Neither of us want to linger if we are in pain or have lost our mental faculties.
She was a doctor in real life. I was a teacher. We both have our wits intact...mostly....
But the conversation about our deaths occurs fairly regularly...
We both agree that taking a dose of a painless drug would be much better than lingering unwell for months or years .
She has relations who would like her to live closer to them.
I have no relations at all.
Sooner or later she knows that she will be unable to maintain her present life style. She still drives. She shops in the village several times a week.
I introduced her to the joys of the internet some time ago so she now gets her main shop delivered to her door.
As long as we can live a reasonable life style there is no problem to living alone. But we are aware that the nursing home in the village may well be our final destination, at which stage it might not be the end of the world if some heroin was served at supper time..
This does not mean that I think the Gosport solution was in any way right. But for some residents it’s not quite as bad as it’s painted...
Just a thought......




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: