Wednesday 20 June 2018

Cannabis?

When I was the mother of two teenager children we had many conversations on the subject of drugs.
My attempts at scaring them away from various substances worked mostly but as they grew into adulthood I became aware that both of them had dabbled...
The drug of choice was mostly cannabis.
This was easily acquired in the town in Lancashire where we lived.
My reaction to finding that either or both had actually taken various drugs was usually first anger and then discussion.
The eldest child was my son Adrian. We survived the punk period to be followed by a time in his late teens when I suspected that he was smoking.
Having had a violent, alcoholic father I tried first to stop him by banning any booze or cigarettes from the house.
Eventually he told me about cannabis.. everyone it appeared was smoking it.
Everyone?
He reassured me that it was harmless, that it was lovely, all his friends took it....
I tried everything , shouting at an eighteen year old was never going to work...so eventually I listened....
I was invited to one of his "Parties" to see for myself.
I went.
A group of teenage boys sat in silence in a circle whilst the cigarette was passed around the group. It was offered to me. I refused. I needed to see their reactions.
As parties go it was very dull compared to the alcohol fuelled parties I was then used to.
The young people just sat and smoked. I left, some of my fears resolved.
Adrian was fifty when he died. I asked the doctor point blank if any drugs had been involved. He shook his head. It had been a heart attack...Adrian had died on the spot.
Now, listening to all the people in the media talking about cannabis I know that if it can help sick children then it may be the moment to legalise it...
I’m not sure so I bow to people who know far more about it than I do. But for the sick children who would be helped by it I hope it can be made easier for them to get it.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: