Sunday 17 June 2018

Speech add ons.

I have been listening to speech a lot recently...sitting outside listening to an audio book is for me most enjoyable even if I do have to stay in the shade.
But it does depend whose talking.
Occasionally the speaker has an irritating mannerism which becomes more important than the words.
But it’s speech on the television or radio which gets most of my attention and recently listening to young people talking I’ve become aware of several ways of punctuating a sentence,
'Like'
This word can be used several times in one sentence.
"I like go to Greece a lot. The flight is like quite short like and like when you get there it’s like, well it’s like hot! "
"Like." Is use by some young people several times in one sentence, I suppose whilst the brain is supplying the rest of the words.
I do find this both interesting and worrying.
Even well educated young people use this as a device in speech to make them sound trendy......
There are other examples which are just as odd but the bottom line here is that they are not defects, they are choices...
And I am aware even as I type that I’m sounding very stuffy.
Choosing the right word has always been important to me as has pronunciation, ever since I tried to kill the northern accent which made me stick out like a sore thumb when I first went away to college.
BBC English was what I was aiming at and I’m told that my Lancashire voice has never left me completely.
I expect there are other odd parts of speech popping up at times which like I’m not aware of like.
It’s like the way some young people use speech that almost leaves me speechless ....sometimes....




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: