Saturday 16 June 2018

Retiring time.

I am becoming forgetful. This statement covers a great many anxious moments.
I have in the last month forgotten an appointment made for me by my incumbent. It was in my diary but was crossed out.
I believe this single event has caused a whole raft of events over the last month.
I have been angry, puzzled and generally outraged by what I saw as a concerted attempt to get me to retire gracefully.
A conversation with the bishops secretary confirmed this some time ago but until yesterday I had forgotten that too.
I can no longer dodge this one...
When my incumbent asked me to do a funeral on a day when I was booked into a Safeguarding course, it was in the full knowledge that it would disqualify me from any further ministry.
I would have preferred to have had a proper conversation about this moment of forgetfulness. It would have been kinder ultimately .
But it is what it is and I have now mentally accepted it.
I am now a retired priest. Having spent the last fifteen years working hard with no stipend I know it’s time to stop.
My biggest problem will be to decide where to go to attend Sunday worship.
I don’t want to attend either of my local ones....
I might have to go Methodist!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: