Friday 15 June 2018

Bank closure

I got bad news yesterday. Sitting in my summer house with the gardener he told me that the local bank was going to close.
In our small village is a small sub branch of Barclays. During one massive storm years ago it’s door was wrenched off. On another high tide moment I found its cash machine full of sea water.
It is nevertheless a much loved part of the village.
I use it’s cash machine to get actual notes in order to pay my gardener because he has no bank account. The only other place on the. Roseland where hard cash is needed is the garage in the next village. He had too many card failures during one hot summer so now will only accept cash!
If this sounds medieval it’s because it is but I value this garage enormously. He puts air into my tyres as well as petrol in my tank.
So where will I get several pound notes after the bank closes?
The Post Office is the obvious answer but that means it has to be open. I can get cash on Sunday or late at night from the bank machine.
Ok. It’s not the end of the earth..it just means I have to think ahead more...
It’s just one more complication.........
Life in a small village in Cornwall has much to recommend it....but I shall miss this bank when it goes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: