Sunday 18 November 2018

Changing gender.

I have some sympathy for those people who are worried about their gender. However on the whole it seems to make sense to stick to the sex deemed at birth.
But. It is not the whole story as I learned from an early experience.
My story concerns a man I lived with on and off with for a couple of years, indeed was engaged to him.
Eventually he told me that he had been born into the wrong body. He knew he was a woman trapped into a masculine body.
He thought that nature had played a cruel trick on him .
I felt very sorry for him. I listened to his tales of woe with interest and often voiced my sympathy for his plight.
However, the time came when for all sorts of reasons this stopped.
He loved to try on my clothes. And at first I really didn’t mind this. It could be fun. However the time came when it became first boring and then annoying. He only seemed really happy when he was wearing a dress. I coped with this sympathetically to begin with but it became irritating when I found makeup on my best clothes. I knew it was his because I didn’t use it.
The end came when I found a dress I’d bought and saved for a special occasion, with make up around the collar. I’d never worn it but he had whilst I was out.
I explained to him that I was not impressed but then he got first angry and then weepy.
I was accused of being hard hearted, a symbol of all that was wrong with society in my lack of sympathy with his problem.
From then on I became more critical and less supportive. He got shrill in his screams of anger and then defensive in his belief and his right to be female.
The end followed inevitably. I stopped seeing him, still sympathetic to his dilemma but sure that I couldn’t support him as he had wanted.
Now when I hear transexual complaints about the unfairness of nature and being born into the wrong body I find myself shrugging ....my own sympathy with this plight had not gone well. And when I hear on the radio some of the "victims" of this problem I find myself being very dismissive .
I feel sorry for anyone trying to live a "normal" life in this state but my own experience has made me much less sympathetic than I might have been.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: