Monday 22 April 2019

Exodus.

Cornwall is full but the exodus starts today I’m told. My next door neighbour is travelling north, joined by thousands of others I believe.
In the past I remember far too many slow queues of traffic as we all left together.
This wonderful weather brought far more people here than is normal at this time of the year so once it starts the roads are best avoided where possible.
Several old friends turned up over the weekend , some to help me with jobs that I can’t do any more. I have reached the stage now where I simply can’t climb stepladders or lift heavy objects to new positions.
The trouble is that I don’t actually look frail so I have to ask for help at times.
Help is generously given for which I’m grateful but the fact that I need it makes me cross with myself.
Yesterday the wheelbarrow took centre place again....so what on Earth have I come to when I can even write that! But it is now fixed...I can move heavy pots around easily.
Several people who I’ve met on cruises in the past have rung to say they will be on the next one. This is not all good news.
But I can start slowly sorting out in my mind what I need to pack. Actually getting it out is just too early yet.
My garden is still my refuge even as the traffic streams past me. It has never looked so beautiful. Every tree is full of blossom.
My next door neighbour came yesterday to tell me how wonderful it looks.
"It was just a cow field." He nodded at it.." You’ve done very well with it."
I was touched by his kindness.
A period of quiet after the exodus will go down quite well.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Today, children are back to school, and the local traffic reflected that this morning. School buses out in force.

But otherwise after Morning Prayer in a different local church, I spent time with vulnerable and or elderly people on our weekly coffee morning. Was pleased to see T who moved recently into sheltered accommodation but came in with his family (lots of them) to renew acquaintences with old friends, he was a stalwart of the Coffee Morning until last year. Now confined to a wheel chair, he is a military veteran of the Gulf War, but irrepresible in terms of helping others, not as badly disabled as himself.

He even was a Church Warden locally until his health took a nose dive and he had to give up. But he still attends, despite the arrangements he has to make, his car and powered wheel chair are adapted for him, and he used the independence that it gives him to get about, blessing his blue badge, which allows him to park. No internet shopping for him, he bombs around the supermarket, with loyal spouse in tow, doing everything he can to be normal.

He is an inspiration and highly regarded as was obvious with him being surrounded by old friends, as well as his family. He is a one of 12 siblings, which demonstrates how close they are - most came along with him.

The cafe which is run by Christian volunteers, and has been for over 40 years, is a haven. They haven't changed their prices since printing their menu in 2008. Which means food for many of the poorer people locally is affordable, while basic, but nutrisious.

Now the cafe is threatend by the local authority plans to compulsory purchase the parade of shops they are located to redevelop for some yuppie type houses, none of which are affordable, and will put them and 9 other businesses out of premises, with nothing affordable for them to move too.

A Tory controled council, ruining the part of the borough that has only had labour councilors since the council was formed, and consistently elects a labour MP, for the past 40 years or so.

Sometimes living in Cornwall sounds idealic, but living here, in an urban environment working to try to improve things, seems to be the right decision.

Revjeanrolt said...

Stick with it Earnie....they clearly need you.