Tuesday 15 March 2011

Save our NHS

I am old enough to remember what life was like before the NHS. I lived with my grandparents during the war. They were not well off. If one of us was ill there was a discussion as to whether a doctor could be afforded. I still remember the desperation when I had rheumatic fever. Sometimes it was not possible even for those who were "On the club" to get a doctor in. All sorts of herbal medicines were used and many of them worked well but some had disastrous results.
In some families children died whilst a decision was delayed. My grandmother's stroke went unheeded. Any sort of illness or accident was dreaded because lack of funds made them impossible to cope with.
It took courage to introduce the NHS into postwar Britain. It has worked even though it's grown fat in some of the wrong places.
To attempt to dismantle it would bring us back to the sort of despair I witnessed as a child. I thank God for NHS in my adult life. In all the darkest moments of my life they were always there. Please let it go on.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: