Monday 30 October 2017

Driving safely?

Sunday afternoon.
This is not my usual time for going out but there was something I wanted to look at in the next village and my battery needed a bit of encouragement.
As soon as I set off I knew I was in trouble. The sun was very big, bright and low, shining directly in my eyes.
I have no reflexes in my eyes, they do not close when invaded...the legacy of a mini stroke in my youth.
Driving with the sun fully in my eyes is very very painful. Even with dark glasses on I knew I was in trouble.
There were moments when I couldn't see the road at all, I just know it well!
At times the white lines were the only indication that I was still on it!
Going in and out of the light became fraught...when the trees parted , or the building stopped a great beam hit me directly in my eyes.
I didn't get far. Just far enough to turn round safely and get home.
Note to self. ......
Next time you have a sudden fancy to take the car out check where the sun is...it's lethal.
And if you are one of the other cars I held up or crossed unexpectedly today I apologise!
A little later I realised that I had had a glass of wine with lunch? It was Sunday!
If I'd been stopped for dangerous driving at any moment I might have been breathelised . It certainly was dangerous driving. I am relieved to be home safe. Thank you God.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Babs said...

I have trouble driving in the glare of the sun. I have extended visors but I find (although I must look ridiculous ) is a baseball cap with a large brim.
You can actually see under the brim . Try it Jean.

UKViewer said...

It can be dangerous - bright sunshine is dangerous at any time of the year, but the autumn and winter sun, seems to have a sharper glare than in the summer. I am always careful when driving, it's not so bad on wide roads or motorways, but in narrow, tee lined lanes, the sun can suddenly nearly blind you as you leave tree cover. My eyesight is not as good as it was, and used varifocal spectacles, with lenses that darken in bright light. They suffice, as I can't afford actual prescription sun glasses, with a bill for new lenses each year, running into 500 pounds.

I am hoping that my Cataracts will be operable in the next year or so, as I have seen the benefits of such surgery for my spiritual director and other friends. I just need to be patient, in the meantime pay a fortune for new lenses each year.