Thursday 19 October 2017

Touring?

I have a good friend currently doing a tour! He is a little younger than me but it is taking its toll. The tour started with a flight to Italy. Every day a coach picks them up and they travel on to another place.
The text messages indicate great joy at seeing lots of new places with a knowledgeable guide to give them much information on what they are seeing.
It sounds lovely but my friend is getting tired.
When I was first widowed doing a tour was the solution to holidays...
Going off anywhere on your own is very different from travelling with a companion.
One way I solved this problem was to come to live here where the first David and I had spent many happy holidays over the years.
Once here the same problem meant that I eventually started to do tours.
I gave up a few years later after some wonderful visits but having to unpack and pack again with every stop was simply exhausting.
I now rejoice in the knowledge that this is why I cruise.
I only unpack once! Whilst we sleep the ship sails on and we wake up in glorious places, ready to explore.
My friend is three years younger than me and I suspect getting tired.
Getting to see new places and meet new people is a massive privilege.
Those of us who do it are very lucky indeed but following my friends adventures this week has made me very determined not to go back to coach tours again.
True they are seeing marvellous inland cities but there are now limits to my energy...
I do now appreciate just how fortunate I am...thank you God.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

PixieMum said...

Ian and I realised this on a visit to Sicily with the U3A, we came back exhausted, I opted out from a couple of visits to temples as just couldn’t face the relatively short walk or climb.
Another factor we observed was at hotels coach parties or tour groups never had good rooms, views of dustbins or backyards prevailed. At one Sicilian hotel the menu and food were of a different standard for coach party from that of other guests. In Yorkshire we stayed in a hotel where Ian had stayed for business, then he had a quiet room overlooking the canal, this time the party were at the front overlooking the main road and parking area.
We are trying to decide whether to try cruising, meanwhile our offspring both live at the coast and we are in London so have the best of both worlds.