Friday 16 February 2018

Cure for dementia?

On my iPad are all sorts of news apps. I read some very odd articles every day.
At the weekend I read an article on dementia in the old and middle aged.
The first symptom is almost always forgetfulness. Well...I now write everything down when possible but there is no disguising the fact that I do forget things.....
So I read the fairly lengthy article.
The main thesis seems to be that diet can affect our brains...but they fail to agree on what to eat. Ready meals seem to be things to avoid but if you live alone buying food prepared by someone else makes total sense...almost all my old friends buy them.
I found one article talking about a miracle cure. Not so much for the disease itself but for not getting it in the first place. So I diligently read the very long article.
The magic substance that stops us from getting dementia is apparently cocoanut oil. Pure maple syrup comes second.
So I sent for them. Two large containers arrived from Amazon which really does sell everything these days!
One teaspoon of each are to be taken every day...
Well!
It remains to be seen ..... .
I will try this but as I often forget to take my tablets it seems likely that this "cure all" will go the same way.
Staying lucid is important in old age....so I’m quite prepared to try it. They now stand on a shelf in my kitchen next to a couple of bottles of Scotch...
I’ll try not to overdo it....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Nancy Wallace said...

I also find myself reading articles about how to avoid dementia. It may or may not work, but my strategy is to follow the general guides for healthy eating, getting enough exercise and social activities, keeping the brain active by trying to learn new skills. I'm not convinced about the usefulness of coconut oil or maple syrup. I wonder what commercial vested interested might have been behind that advice.

Ray Barnes said...

Frankly Jean I'd settle for the Scotch and forget the coconut oil and Maple syrup.
We all forget things as we age but. let's face it, we know more than the young so have more to forget.
What's a little memory loss in the scheme of thimngs?

Revjeanrolt said...

The scotch gets my vote too Ray....but the maple syrup tasted great in my coffee...

Rat Bites said...

If you can stop at one spoon of maple syrup you've the self-control of a hero. I used to get up at five when I was a kid and thieve half the precious bottle my Granny had painstakingly posted in her Christmas parcel for Mom - but my inner Canadian just couldn't hold out!!

UKViewer said...

Just thinking that a couple of bottles of scotch might have something to do with not being lucid?

Not sure of the other treatments. I am diabetic, so maple syrup is out. The other one seems a bit strange, but might give it a go. At the moment I am quite lucid, but my memory seems to be a little fuzzy, perhaps I need to go to sleep earlier than midnight?