Friday 27 April 2018

Shopping locally .

Us old people who live out in the country are very lucky old people. I do most of my shopping on line. But this is not without the regret factor.
I used to go into Truro to shop. I still do but very infrequently.
Food shopping which is the big shop once a week is so much easier to do on line.
Yesterday I sent in my Tesco order to come on Saturday. This morning I realised that I was almost out of coffee so I went back to order to add a jar.
Easy.
I do also shop in the village but these occasions are getting less.
This wonderful system of shopping on line is a procedure I’ve passed on to my elderly friends. Once experienced, it really could be a life saver.
Years ago I held a class on the internet in my sitting room with about ten old ladies with lap tops on their knees. This was before iPads were invented.
About ten ladies sat diligently setting up their accounts. Several of them are now aloft but at least two of them still use this method. The van arrives. A man carries in boxes of groceries and puts them all in the kitchen.
It’s just too easy and not without its guilt.
The local shops are missing our custom.
I do understand this so I try at least once a week to shop personally locally. Especially at the chemist which would be sorely missed by us all. We have now all signed two petitions to keep it open.
Shopping used to be easy when I was young with a family to feed.
Carrying heavy bags full of ready dinners is not easy these days so shopping by the internet is the obvious choice.
I do apologise though to the local coop...but needs must. And this way no one in the village sees my wine bottles as I clank around .



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to shop daily, so partonise local shops, including the Coop, although they closed a store recently, closest to my home, which was taken over by a chain I had never heard off, on for the coop to buy out that chain in turn, keeping their signs up, but basically providing Coop goods for them to sell. The pain is not receiving coop points if I shop there.

Not happy with most of the big chains. I never darken the doors of Tesco, particularly as they in their aggressive days, have held local communities to ransom by buying up land and shops and than demanding concessions from planning authorities for their developments. They decimated the Main shopping street in Darford, by buying up shops and letting them on short leases or leaving them empty. Many businesses that had been their for generations found them to be negligent, absent land lords, who hiked freehold prices enormously and putting them out of business. I our local shopping centre in Bexley, they purchased the Woolwich Building Society former HQ and than put in a planning application for an enormous store on the site, with closely packed housing on the rest of the site, right on a corner where five roads meet and which would have caused major disruption. In the end, they exchanged the Woolwich site with the council who moved there, and demolished the Civic Centre to build their store. Than pulled out completely, having got their houses built, but with no store or shopping outlet. The civic centre site which also held 300 car spaces above it, was left empty and derelict for three years, until now, a housing contractor is building homes, but with no affordable housing involved.

Tesco also put in local Express stores taking away local business trade, than pulled out of some, leaving empty shop fronts.

I don't really like Sainsbury's either, who have dominated local shopping and expanded enormously on a site, and also put in their version of express stores, which have taken prime retail space and forced local businesses to close.

This turns me off big chains completely so I go to Morrisons or Coop and local shops where they survive, wanting to keep our money local where possible.

Morrisons are not perfect, but they at least listen and also do stuff in the community, as do the coop. in our locality, they join in with community events and do their best to support our churches as well. So, local and small is best for me.