Friday 14 December 2018

Getting away!

I am now on the final day for completing my packing. So during the night I have woken several times remembering things so far forgotten.
Once remembered my brain doesn’t let go....
I still have a couple of old friends to see. But I will not leave the house until my packed bags, complete with their luggage labels are sitting ready and waiting in the hall.
I am being picked up at seven am tomorrow so this may be the last blog for a little while until I get the Cunard internet up and running.
The weather is looking good...but during the cruise we sail from cold to hot and back so getting the right mixture of clothes is the main problem.
I take far fewer items than I used to....the bulk of my packing is evening wear...long frocks and bright jackets mix with woolly jumpers and denim skirts.
I will have forgotten some things so today will be spent running my mind over past mistakes and trying not to repeat them.
I have now explained several times to people asking why I am avoiding being here for Christmas.
The reason why I need to be away is simple.
Not only did my dearly loved husband die, both of my children did too.
I have lots of friends but I am very short of actual loved ones..
The last Christmas I spent in this house was the one where my son joined me and David for Christmas dinner with a lot of laughter and joy.
I don’t want the contrast now.
Sailing off to the other side of the world is my way of keeping miserable thoughts at bay.
Everyone here understands. I am fortunate to be able to get away...the memories remain but are muted most of the time we are at sea.
So.....off we go......soon.....



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: