Friday 21 September 2018

Talking to everyone.

Sitting with various couples and groups can mean I over hear some extraordinary things, with people quarrelling in a quiet subdued way whilst sending waves of angst into the airwaves.
Today I sat with a couple exploring ways of saving money in small amounts over various sites. The wife got very frustrated when the husband failed to take advantage of a good offer.
It’s obviously the way they enjoy themselves...saving pence whilst spending pounds!
In a corner of my favourite place they were getting ready for a wedding. We were all herded into a position out of the way so inching my way closer I got a seat which would give me some idea of the proceedings..
I am keeping a low profile on board but one young man who used to look after me and David spotted me and asked if I was taking part. No of course not. I assume the captain has that job.
But I admit to being tempted to wonder if they needed a blessing...
I am getting used to this ship now...but I still prefer the other two, smaller ones. However meeting old friends amongst the staff is good.
I am astonished that they remember guests after a gap of several years.
Last night I took the only free chair in a lounge to enjoy a drink before going into supper.
A large American was talking about religion. How could I not listen?
The subject was the number of priests now confessing that they have been inappropriate with young men.
The notion of women priests was briefly mentioned and dismissed.
Eventually I joined in the conversation.
The news that I was a female priest drew sharp intakes of breath.
But I persevered and talked about my call, finally fulfilled when I was 65.
They listened. The conversation was at times noisy and ended with us agreeing on several important things.
This trip has its frustrations but they are compensated for by the number of very interesting people on board, all happy to talk....thank you God.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: