Tuesday 5 February 2019

Ageing.

All of my current small problems are all age related...
I am old. Somethings don’t work as well as they used to. Don’t worry I’m not going to list them...life is sometimes undignified enough!
Because I find it complicated to do normal things like going into Truro, going swimming, or driving to the beach I am staying at home much more often than I used to.
There are weeks when I realise that I haven’t been anywhere much so I make appointments that I must keep to get me out of the house.
Several old friends are in the same boat though talking about it is proving difficult. Admitting small but embarrassing problems is hard for us old ladies because we don’t want to list them....
I don’t know if old men have similar problems. None of the men I go out with occasionally seem to have small things going wrong with them. But maybe they like me don’t want to talk about how our ancient bodies need help occasionally.
Being old is no bad thing. We are the survivors. We have survived the deaths of our loved ones, in my case several times.
A friend , newly widowed was embarrassed recently by admitting that she walks around the house still talking to her husband.
The news that I still talk to mine several years after losing him surprised her.
But walking around chatting feels normal and I can tell him my problems with no feelings of embarrassment.
When I was young I used to get shocked by my ancient relations listing their dead friends but I now understand. It’s not something I do...yet...I’m only just getting used to being frail physically. I don’t like it but as there’s nothing I can do about it I just have to get on with it.
And I will.......now!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Hi Jean.

I am a man, fast becoming elderly. I have various issues, where things don't work as they should or used to. I have no hesitation in sharing them, when appropriate, but do find talking on endlessly about the issues can become a boring part of the conversation.

Occasionally things become evidence, when my permanently prolapsed lumbar discs kick into action and I have cramps and muscle contractions which means I have to turn and stretch to release them. This sometimes happens during services, and people have got used to my having to stand up and twist as if I am engaged in a modern dance. It has even happened when I am preaching, and my movements in the pulpit are taken as my exclaiming the Gospel actively :)

And I am pleased that your blog has reverted to standard blogger comments and my replies should now be visible to you.

Revjeanrolt said...

So far all seems well....fingers firmly crossed...