Thursday 7 October 2010

Class hatred

Over the last days I've read a lot of stuff specially on Twitter which is getting very close to the sort of class hatred I used to hear as a child. Remarks about someones dress costing as much as two weeks pay sound quite funny but in fact are the start of a feeling that can grow into something damaging to the person expressing them.
We can all feel jealous sometimes when we see someone being able to afford an object which has been the centre of our desire for years. Jealousy is part of the human condition. But I believe that it stems from a much better feeling, that of a need for fairness. We want life to be fair...we cling to the idea that we are all born equal but the fact is that we are not.
Striving to make everyone equal is what started the politically correct idea which took over many institutions, particularly education an which had some really daft outcomes .
We are all born as individuals. Some highly intelligent, some gifted at a music, some as athletes..we can't all be good at everything . Some then have health problems, some can't cook. We are not born equal. What we are is equal in the sight of God. He loves us just as we are and as we strive to become better people.
Being born to a family of talent and who also have money does not seem fair to those who have little or no chance of being able to make money. And it's not fair of course. But neither is it fair to judge harshly those who have what we want...
Class hatred is born of jealousy and can only harm those who have it. We have to try to live with all our disabilities and not envy those who seem to have everything in life that we havnt got. I am not advocating being content and keeping our station in life....striving for something better makes us better people.
It's not the hand we are dealt in life that counts it's what we do with that hand.
I don't often preach in here and I am fully aware that it comes ill from someone on holiday with her iPad but I do know about poverty. As a child in a home where food was scarce and tempers were short I often heard hatred aired for those who had more then we had. I learned the politics of envy on a daily basis so I recognize it when I hear it.
We can't grudge people their good fortune without damaging ourselves. In order to become the people of God we have to do the very best we can with what we have and help those less fortunate whenever possible.
There ....sermon over.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

IainMonty said...

Don't disagree with the basic principle, and I'm not on holiday with an iPad and never will be (hate Apple).

But; we also need to deal with those who believe their advantages are no more than their right and hell mend the rest. Especially when advantage is inherited, not created by personal effort or inherent in the person, such as Daddy's money.

This coalition Government is taking us back to the I'm all right Jack mentality of Thatcher. It won't be long before we hear once again, "they're not one of us". Already we are seeing policy on the hoof designed to appease the readers of the Daily Fail, which contradicts the supposed objectives of Cameron and his Bullingdon Buddies.

Inverse snobbery does exist, and we should get to know people before we judge, but those in power have an extra level of responsibility to do this and so far, that just isn't happening.

If our society is fragmenting across class lines, this is in my opinion exactly what the current Governement, blue and yellow, wants.

UKViewer said...

I wonder if we can distinguish between class hatred, the politics of envy or just sheer concern for the type of world and culture we seem to be creating. One of selfishness, self centred individualism, with nothing worthwhile outside our own ego's.

Like you, I come from a poor and deprived background - I suffered from being in Care at the start, returning to a single parent home, with a parent who was a racist bully, and who envied everyone, who had something they did not have. I accept that some of the views came about through the war, but that is not an excuse for the behaviour displayed.

I have been fortunate in life, making a reasonable success, happily married, financially secure and with children and grand children that I love. All of these have been achieved after many struggles, trials and tribulations. I know how fortunate I have been - God has been good to me.

I among many others, have real concerns about the lack of love and tolerance in the world, and it is natural to compare the lifestyles of the rich and privileged with those who have little or nothing - and do not have the advantages that go with wealth and success, especially for the children, whose life is surrounded by privilege.

I try very hard not to be judgmental about this, but the more I see of how others are treated with no respect for their dignity or uniqueness, I wonder why our prayer and intercessions seem to be unheeded.

I accept that we are all given gifts and how we use them is up to us, but sometimes those in poor deprived circumstance, in broken and fractures homes or relationships, just do not know where to start, and even if they did, their first priority is survival, not necessarily asking God for help, if they even know who God is. In these circumstances, human nature will out, and lead to the feelings you describe.

I dispair when I hear people described as 'feckless', 'workshy' 'skivers' 'spongers' all labels applied to a whole group of people which are just plain wrong. The media are partly to blame, but so are we all for not complaining when we read or hear such rubbish.

Time for spiritual and cultural revolution - Make the story of Jesus Christ relevant to all and we might start to change things - until then pray and hope for a change of heart for the whole of mankind - without it, much of mankind will have no hope.