Monday 8 November 2010

Bishops take their bats home

I decided some time ago that I would not blog on this and yet here I am after another two bishops have left the C of E and Rowan Williams has commented on it in gentle sadness.
It is very sad.. I was ordained into this church when I was already too old really but answering a call which started when I was a teenager. It is much to the credit of this church that women's calls by God were finally recognized and admitted.
But all along there have been people who have agonized about this , taking all sorts of theological arguments to absurd lengths to try to justify themselves..
This church is best likened to a family, hopefully a family that loves each member whilst seeing their faults clearly. This family has done it's best to accommodate those priests and bishops who feel let down and say that the church now is not the one they joined years ago...but that applies to every body and everything in life. We change. It is part of the human condition. New circumstances mean we adapt, this is how we survive as a species.
These bishops have failed to adapt and are now looking like nothing less than children who having failed to get their own way in a game decide to leave and to take the bat and ball with them.
Christianity? Not entirely.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Babs said...

Can I beg to differ?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Jean; why is it unacceptable for women to represent "Big G" when His love is distributed equally amongst the sexes?

Me thinks... some ivory towered gents are a touch bigoted and out of touch with 2010. Are you the Emily Pankhurst of the Roseland when clerical emansipation is concerned?