Saturday 4 December 2010

The killer Eulogy

Sorry to return to the same subject so soon but since writing yesterday's piece I have remembered what for me was a defining moment of ministry when the Eulogy was used as tool to destroy a family.
It's been sitting at the back of my mind ever since and only occasionally do I remember how dreadful it was.
I was an ordinand at the time and the man who had died had been active in the church and a friend. Indeed I had stayed with him several times on his approach to death and had laid him out when he died during the night and it was going to be a long wait for the funeral parlour  to arrive.
So I knew him and his family well and was fully aware of the rancour that existed between the present wife and the children of the first marriage.
As we made preparations for the funeral the daughter, then in her forties asked if she could do the Eulogy. The vicar said yes she  course could and although the widow was not altogether convinced it went into the service sheet and so we had to go through with it.
It really was a killer. The widow was savaged slowly and efficiently  by a very upset daughter. Her brother had stayed away because he knew what was going to happen. The eulogy was on that occasion a stick to beat the widow with.
We got the service over , the poor man was put into his grave and I turned to go back into the church fast. The vicar wanted to know where I was going at such speed.
"I am going to stop those two women from killing each other." I said as a raced past him.
All went well until we got to the wake in the local pub when I narrowly avoided a confrontation by both women by staying always between them until they got fed up with circling each other and left.
Since then I have always asked if I might read the Eulogy in advance. Where possible!
I have occasionally made some suggestions but I have never heard anything as bad as that since.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the 'family offering' - in funerals I take it wont happen unless I have a copy in my hand afore!

I once referred to a woman as an 'old bag' at her funeral ...

Whilst they are the greatest moment for good, they are also the most potent moment for lifelong devastation - so I like to offer the material myself, where possible, so that in the worst case, the family can be annoyed at me! The blubbing sister-in-law thing is never helpful, after all