Wednesday 1 December 2010

My job as a priest.

Some one asked me how I felt about being a non stipendiary priest. There is a simple answer to this question. Proud. This status suits me. When I was young and had my first call to ministry women were not allowed to be priests in the Church of England. My then parish Bill Vanstone who was fully aware of my call told me the only option was to become a deaconess, but he knew that that was never going to be a real option for me so I became a teacher instead.
During the years the call came back and became a definate pull that could not be ignored when I was just past 60. I ignored it but as happens with God, He did not take no for an answer and finally I applied to become a lay reader. On talking to me the bishop decided then and there that for me lay readership was not an option.
" I know I'm too old" I said before he told me that he would like to priest me.
My legs have never touched ground since. I am now what is described as a self supporting priest. I don't need money. I have two pensions which makes me very lucky.
I was ordained first as a deacon then as a priest and did all my Post Ordination training and completed the three years of that, during the year I should have retired had I been stipended.
But the church knew that would happen , they can do sums.
So I am now an assistant priest in a small cluster of parishes. I do not get paid for anything I do and neither do I ever claim expenses.
I can never be asked to move house. I can go on holiday at times to suit me and my husband. It suits me well.
I contribute to the coffers of the church by marrying alot of people. Over 200 couples at the last count.
I am very happy. I had the experience of running a parish during an interegnum and so I do know what the job entails and as Bill Vanstone would have said, being a parish priest is the most important job in the church and there is no promotion from parish work, worth having. A position he maintained until he died and one which I am privileged to endorse.
I do not feel, nor am I treated like a second class citizen. Everything I do is my gift not just to the church but to God. At last I am becoming the person He always wanted me to be and I am extremely grateful for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog post! Good on you. Albeit said by an atheist.

UKViewer said...

Jean, you are an inspiration. I am not sure whether my questions prompted this post, but it certainly answers some questions for me. Reading of the service you give, seems to me to describe something of what I feel called to.

I cannot profess to having felt called at any time in my life, until just over two years ago,when I was at a spiritual low, I returned to faith, after hearing Jesus tell me, "I am here - let me in" and that Gift given by him to me has prompted everything that has followed.

Having been raised as RC, I felt very much that there was no place for me in that church - so joined my Parish, guided by my TA Padre, who is now my Parish Priest. Following confirmation, Jesus seemed to say to me, "this is not enough, you need to do more" which started the journey I am now on. I meet the DDO next week, and who knows where God's will will take me from there. I have now been gifted the peace of heart and spirit to just take it as it comes.

Service as an NSM is the call I have felt strongly after a period of discernment, it is now for the Church to decide whether that is a valid and realistic call.

Anonymous said...

Jean, please please please please please for the sake of us younger NSMs who also do this full time for no money, never ever equate being an NSM with lowly status it just perpetuates an old boy attitude to NSMs that still lurks in the church that you are not a proper priest. Perhaps Truro is better at treating you an equals, its still not the case in most places.

Unknown said...

Agree with the above - don't go there on that! The attitude as described by Glorious dies exist, and frankly, without self-supporting clergy, the whole shebang would collapse by next week.

That said, my best friend - Curate in Newquay - does report a favourable balance in his diocese, so perhaps that should be born in mind too.

'Too old'? For the hundred metre dash perhaps, but then so am I in my 30s. Age ain't nuffink mate; worldly wisdom and sage approaches to ministry is!