Tuesday 22 February 2011

Ashes to Ashes

This morning it being half term I met a family with five children to bury GrandPa's ashes. The children were carrying flowers. One had made a wooden cross. They told me that now GrandPa was a star in the sky they could look up at him and talk to him but as well,  from now on they could visit the place in the church yard too. They said the prayers with me and then left the verger to tidy it all up. After I'd been back to the vestry I walked back to the place we had laid the casket. As well as the cross and the flowers there was also an empty can of beer. The children said they'd never seen him without a can of beer in his hand. The verger looked at me. I nodded. We perfectly understood each other. Of course the can could stay before being "Blown away" at some point.
 As I left I said, "A bottle of claret for David.  Scotch for me."

1 comment:

Ray Barnes said...

Lovely little story. There is no 'right' way to do such things, but some people seem to get it exactly right for them. No mean feat.
As for your own P.S, I'll have both please!