Monday 21 February 2011

Aging fast.

I must be going senile. I apologise to those who read the first draft of this blog because it was much the same as the one I did on Saturday. And that is one of the problems of getting old...and its not just the memory, its all the senses. I now live in a house full of geriatrics.  The cats 13, the dogs 12, my husband is 85 and I am in my early 7o's though that's hard to admit!
We have all got age related problems of one kind or another. The husband and the dog are deaf. They have both learned the art of selective deafness and fail to hear what they don't want to hear.  My husband's cataracts have been fixed but not the dogs so unless I stand immediately in front of him he is not quite sure who is there till I speak. Magically he can always hear that!
We are still mobile though some days are less mobile than others!
Food  is a problem for me. I can no longer eat huge meals.  David can so everyday I still cook a large meal at lunch time and he eats most of it whilst I make it look good, helped out by the dog who always knows when to hover.  Whilst we were on hols it was a problem every evening and some meals just out- faced me completely. What I would have loved to eat as a younger woman have now become a real problem. I am a bit slimmer though not as much as I should be!
My main problem is with words. And I do know that this is one of the first signs of Altzeimers but not of course in my case! This is why I play games, Scrabble and Backgammon to keep the brain moving!   Sometimes I grasp at a word and can't find it. It's very frustrating. I have taught myself to go back and think of another way of putting something and then the word usually pops up, not always though.
Names escape me which is not good in a priest. Yesterday in church a young couple walked up to me carrying their baby and of course I knew them perfectly well. I knew he was in the Navy and she was a teacher and the last time I saw them the baby was a bump under the wedding dress. But could I remember their names? Embarassing all round but they seemed to forgive me. With any luck they'll be old themselves one day.
And thats the point. Aches, pains, infirmities, they are a dam nuisance BUT they are better than the alternative! We have survived!!

1 comment:

Babs said...

No I'm not getting old! Inside me is a 40 year old. Can you imagine the scrapes she gets me into?