Monday 28 February 2011

Banking

Just typing that word reminds me of the time when my husband, then a fairly new Bank manager with Nat West was asked to attend a recruitment jamboree. It was in a room where lots of stalls had been set up and there  were many firms trying to lure unsuspecting youngsters into choosing a career in banking. He left the hall half way through, to go and have lunch and when he got back he discovered that on the sign outside his booth some bright child had changed the B for banking into a W.  He was very cross especially when I just laughed.
Now of course Nat West are not the same bank at all and the very sight of a smug young woman on the TV adverts claiming helpful banking is enough to make me splutter with rage.
Today having paid off my credit card bill by phone I was advised that I could  join Action Line to make it easier to do my banking over the phone. This involved me in putting in a lot of numbers and figures to convince them of my identity. Each time I tried I didnt do it fast enough so kept being handed over to a  variety of young women. They were all polite but when I told them that just a bit more time would help the registration process I then got treated to some very patronising remarks.
But I maintain if they are asking you how many letters are in your mother's maiden name then if its more than say 5 letters you have to write it down and then count by which time they've shoved you on to someone else. They are trying. Very.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I use NATWEST for a Charity Account, very unhelpful people indeed. But than so are Barclays, when you try to get them to transfer ISA's, they put so many obstacles in our way, we just withdrew the total of the money and took it physically to the new bank.

I just think that Retail Banking and their financial services are a ripoff.