Friday 25 March 2011

Internet friendships

As we get closer to Easter, more and more visitors are arriving. The lovely weather is bringing them out in droves and it is worth coming to Cornwall at the moment with the blossom on the trees and everything burgeoning as we speak!
The problem is that they often arrive during my busiest period...and its quite hard to explain to people that  I really can't play out as much as I would like to. My grand daughter actually does understand this and I shall be really glad to see her. She is not high maintenance thank goodness.
Twitter friends are also planning to arrive soon. I love meeting the people in real life that I have spoken  to only on the ether!  My less adventurous friends were all aghast when I announced that I was going to meet some of them in real life...
They could be axe murders at the very least was the main assertion. I do it  anyway. About 20 of us stayed at the Post House Hotel in Cambridge a few years ago We had met in a chat room devoted to news and politics and we had all enjoyed the debates . I arrived latish and they were all sitting around in a circle when I first walked in. They were trying to guess at the identity of us all because of course we  had protective screen names. They all got me right more or less straight away.....and to this day I am not sure if that was a good or a bad thing!
The weekend was  fun..we were a great social mix of all ages...and we got on very well. Some have stayed friends till now. Some of them were  staggered by my donning of the dog collar  and one of them drove a long way to my ordination...otherwise she would never have believed it!
There is something happening this weekend in Truro I would love to go to but Sundays are not good for me and anyway friends are here already and we are taking them out for lunch. So I send my best wishes to all the musicians who are gigging at The Old Ale house in Truro.. on Sunday lunch time...Have a great one!

No comments: