Tuesday 10 October 2017

Calendar woes.

It's dark outside. Not black dark but dim dark....winter is obviously on its way.
It is the loss of light that makes me dread winter...I can do the cosy thing, switching on lamps, closing curtains, cooking casseroles, but it's the dying of the light that is the worst feature, harder to cope with than the cold.
When at the end of this month we move our time away from British summer time , that's when it usually hits me.
It's one of the reasons why David and I always went away in January...to fly off to a country with more light and warmth was what started off my cruising habit..
The way we play with our light is somehow very disturbing....British summer time was at one stage changed so that we had double summer time...this proved fairly unpopular and it wasn't repeated.
When I'm on a ship moving from one latitude to another I have got used to being told to either put on an hour or subtract it.
Time is then clearly man made...
Unfortunately my Apple Watch takes no notice of ships time...it does its own thing...so in order not to arrive everywhere either an hour late or an hour early...I have to check with the ships time so that I'm not out of sync with everything...
Time is a man made entity.
But the actuality isn't. The loss of lovely light mornings and evenings is on its way......and eventually the watch that works in conjunction with my phone will join in....but for a short while it's a wonderful excuse for not being where I'm supposed to be....it just adds to the impression I'm currently working at.....that I'm a dozy old woman......ahem!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Ray Barnes said...

The dark mornings are depressing aren't they? At least when the clocks go forward we will have more light to get up to.
Rising as I do at about 6.15 each day winter and summer, I feel most acutely lack of morning sun at this time of year.
I don't mind the colder weather (unless it is extreme) and find heat harder to deal with, but oh the lack of light is a trial.
"Woe, woe and thrice woe" as someone or other used to say.