Saturday 25 November 2017

No pounds?

Money....well actually cash has got very odd lately...or maybe it's just me not keeping up with change.....
I pay my cleaner with cheques but my gardener has no bank account so I pay him with cash.
This works mostly but not yesterday.
I'd got the actual amount in notes..that bit was easy but then I needed another five pounds for the petrol he'd bought...
No five pound notes were found....none at all.
So I turned to my purse for cash.
Separating the pounds from the euros I presented him with five of them.
He looked dubious. What was the matter?
He informed me that they'd gone out now. Gone out? Pound coins?
I have obviously not been paying enough attention .
"You can still change them at a bank" He was grinning at my face of total disbelief...
Oh dear I've turned into one of those dozy old women I used to laugh at once...I do dimly remember something on the news...so I gave him a ten pound note telling him I didn't want any change...he could use it for the next petrol for the strimmer.
But now I am looking through my purses....I have two, one with Euros and the other for pounds...but the pounds seem to have become extinct....whilst I wasn't looking....
"I expect cash machines will still take them" I said.
He just grinned...his worse suspicions doubtless realised....
Oh dearie me. Or words to that effect.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Oh dear Jean, you are in a state aren't you?
It is time to stop paying so much attention to news across the pond and watching BBC Tv news at least once a day.
The old pound coins were replaced with the new two-tone multi sided ones quite a few months ago.
Oh, and by the way, Queen Victoria is dead:-)

Revjeanrolt said...

Shock! Horror! Surely not!
Ok I admit it...I've somewhere lost touch with this money situation. Mostly because I don't shop using cash anymore!
A quick flash of a card does it....it's even reached St Mawes now! My old pounds can have a trip to the bank...at some point....

Babs said...

Put it in the collection like I did ......whoops

UKViewer said...

You have a finite time to do so. Or alternatively, you can do as we did. Keep some of the old -Pre-Deicimal coins to show our grand children, who took them to school for a history project, succesively as they reached the year stage for their education.

Now, obsolete coins and notes are a curiosity and future generations will be in awe and wonder about carrying money, when a chip inserted somewhere in their body, will allow them to pay virtually for everything. Surely this is what the contactless payment now in common use (even in Cornwall) portends. So, my question is, where will you have the chip placed when the time comes? :) I think a hand should be the place. But I suspect by the time it happens, we won't have a choice. I have heard of experiments of people paying by using their Iris of their eyes? and voice. They are already used to access computers etc, but it all leaves me cold. The good thing will be not having to remember a multitude of passwords and pin numbers.