Tuesday 19 December 2017

Strong liquor for grief.

I will do some packing today but my main thing is to visit a recently bereaved good friend.
So far we have only spoken on the phone but I need to see her before I go. Two days before her husband died I bought his Christmas present. A bottle of bourbon.
When David and I started cruising these were the people who looked after my golden retriever. I brought him strong liquor back from every cruise...
I owe them a lot. It is a debt I mean to honour. So me and the Jim Bean will arrive there later.
I can't help with the drinking of it or I'd never drive home ....
Losing my husbands devastated me but this lady has been married for almost 60 years...the gap in her life will be profound.
Everyone in the village will miss her husband....he was one of its characters...when I lived there I had my boat in the harbour. One morning waking early I heard a storm raging. Getting out of my bed and into waterproof oil skins I rushed down to the harbour.
Terry had got there first. My small boat had been pulled out of the water and was safe.
When I decided to give up sea fairing in small boats I gave my last one to Terry. He shared it with several others from the village.
I missed his wake during the week when I had the decorators in. I am assured it took over the entire village....
So today I will pay my own respects... I hope his wife can manage some of the strong liquor. It won't stop the grief but it will remind her of the man she shared her life with.
Rest in peace my friend.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: